Bio Decalin Plus
Bio Decalin Plus
• Short term tamponading agent with favourable specific gravity or density
• Colorless, inert and Laser stable
Bio Decalin Plus is a clear, colourless and homogenous liquid composed of 90% Perfluorodecalin and 10% Perfluorohexyloctane.
- Physical density or specific gravity (g / cm3 at 25° C) 1.81
- Refractive index (at 20 °C) 1.318
- Viscosity (mPas at 37 °C) 3.7
Advantages of Bio Decalin Plus over Bio Decalin (a pure Perfluorodecalin liquid):
- Comparatively less specific gravity than pure Perfluorodecalin liquid. In addition to this favorable specific gravity, low viscosity and insolubility in water; it is also having ideal interfacial tension and surface tension that prevent Bio Decalin Plus penetration beneath the retinal tissue.
- Bio Decalin Plus is chemically and physiologically inert, highly stable, non-toxic and laser stable liquid. These properties make Bio Decalin Plus highly suitable for Endo Photocoagulation and Cryotherapy.
- Pure Perfluorodecalin liquid like Bio Decalin is poorly soluble in Silicone oil. Therefore, there is more chance of residual Perfluorodecalin liquid during silicone oil exchange procedure. These remnants may lead to unwanted side effects in the eye.
Perfluorohexyloctane used in Bio Decalin Plus is a semi fluorinated alkane which is a very good solvent for silicone oil. Unlike pure Perfluorodecalin liquid, when used for retinal unfolding Bio Decalin Plus achieves a very good transition from any residual droplets of unfolding liquid to silicone oil, during the subsequent injection of silicone oil tamponade.
Bio Decalin Plus is a medical device useful in
- Unfolding Detached Retinas
- Giant Rears
- Laser Coagulation
- Refloating Luxated Lenses
- Short-term Tamponade
- Bio Decalin Plus is supplied in sterile vial containing 7.0 ml solution.