Bio Octane Plus
• Short term tamponading agent with favourable specific gravity or density
• Colorless, Inert and Laser stable
Bio Octane Plus is a clear, colourless and homogenous liquid composed of 90% Perfluoro-n-Octane and 10% Perfluorohexyloctane.
- Physical density or specific gravity (g / cm3 at 25 ° C) 1.68
- Refractive index (at 20 ° C) 1.296
- Viscosity (mPas at 37 ° C) 1.3
Advantages of Bio Octane Plus over Bio Octane (a pure Perfluoro-n-Octane liquid):
- Comparatively less specific gravity than pure Perfluoro-n-Octane liquid. In addition to this favorable specific gravity, low viscosity and insolubility in water; it is also having ideal interfacial tension and surface tension that prevent Bio Octane Plus penetration beneath the retinal tissue.
- Bio Octane Plus is chemically and physiologically inert, highly stable, non-toxic and laser stable liquid. These properties make Bio Octane Plus highly suitable for endo photocoagulation and cryotherapy.
- Pure Perfluoro-n –Octane liquid like Bio Octane is poorly soluble in Silicone oil. Therefore, there is more chance of residual Perfluoro-n-Octane liquid during silicone oil exchange procedure. This remnants may lead to unwanted side effects in the eye.
Perfluorohexyloctane used in Bio Octane Plus is a semi fluorinated alkane which is a very good solvent for silicone oil. Unlike pure perfluoro-n-octane liquid, when used for retinal unfolding Bio Octane Plus achieves a very good transition from any residual droplets of unfolding liquid to silicone oil, during the subsequent injection of silicone oil tamponade.
Bio Octane Plus is a medical device useful in
- Unfolding Detached Retinas
- Giant Tears
- Laser Coagulation
- Refloating Luxated Lenses
- Short-term Tamponade
- Bio Octane Plus is supplied in sterile vial containing 7.0 ml solution.